Jeremy Titman (Associate Professor and Reader in Magnetic Resonance)
Rosalie Cresswell, Marco Mais, Sarah Brooks
Our research involves the design and implementation of new solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) experiments. Our work includes the design of new solid-state NMR correlation experiments and new methods for measuring solid-state NMR parameters, such as the chemical shift anisotropy, as well as the develpment of dynamic nuclear polarization (DNP) enhanced solid-state NMR. Ongoing applications of solid-state NMR include investigations of nanocomposite materials, lithium superionic conductors, metal organic frameworks and block copolymers.
We have two solid-state NMR instruments in Nottingham: a 300 MHz Varian InfinityPlus and a 600 MHz Bruker Avance III based in the University of Nottingham's Centre for High-resolution NMR Spectroscopy. In addition we have recently installed a 600 MHz DNP MAS NMR instrument in Nottingham funded by a £2.4 M EPSRC research grant and a substantial contribution from the University. We are also part of a five-university consortium which operates the EPSRC 850 MHz Solid-state NMR Facility based at Warwick. As well as NMR, we have carried out muon spin resonance (µSR) experiments at the ISIS Neutron Facility in the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire.
Past Members of the Group
- Sarah Oliver, PhD student, graduated December 1999
- Axel Heindrichs, PhD student, graduated December 2000
- John Godward, Postdoctoral Research Assistant, April 2001 - October 2002
- Charles Crockford, PhD student, graduated December 2003
- Giuseppe Grasso, PhD student, graduated December 2003, Postdoctoral Research Assistant, June 2003 - December 2003, currently Researcher at the University of Catania, Italy
- Gyan K. Agarwal, MPhil student, graduated July 2005, currently Associate Professor. Department of Applied Chemistry, Birla Institute of Technology
- Xi Yu, Postdoctoral research assistant, April 2004 - December 2004, currently Lecturer, Department of Physics, Fudan University, Shanghai
- Zlatka Stoeva, Postdoctoral Research Assistant, December 2002 - December 2005, currently Business Development Manager at Anglia Ruskin University
- Ruben Gomez-Sanchez, PhD student, graduated July 2006, currently NMR Investigator at GlaxoSmithKline, Stevenage
- Limin Shao, PhD student, graduated December 2007, Postdoctoral Research Assistant, September 2006 - February 2008, currently Regional Development Manager with AkzoNobel, Shanghai
- Andrew Jurd, PhD student, graduated July 2008, Postdoctoral Research Assistant, November 2007 - August 2009, currently teaching
- Andrew Powell, PhD student, graduated July 2010, currently working with Rolls Royce, Derby
- Yanqi Wu, PhD student, graduated July 2011, was Biomass Chemist at Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, now returned to China
- Daniel Lee, PhD student, graduated July 2011, currently Research Scientist at CEA Grenoble
- David Bennett, PhD student, graduated July 2013, currently Research Fellow in NMR Spectroscopy at the School of Life Sciences, University of Sussex
- Francesca Martini, Visting Student, graduated January 2014 from University of Pisa, currently postdoctoral researcher at ICCOM-CNR, Pisa.
- Gregory Martin, PhD student, graduated July 2014, currently teaching
- Habeeba Miah, PhD student, graduated July 2016
- Lyndsey Knight, PhD student, graduated July 2017, previously NMR Scientist at GlaxoSmithKline, Stevenage, now at Astra Zeneca, ALderley Park, Cheshire